Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Gas shortage

On Mon, 17 May 2021 18:06:37 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

In rec.woodworking, wrote:
I don't see what's gained by just substituting a camera/display for a
mirror.

Fuel efficiency. On a modern car[*] it's (IIRC) 3% of drag caused by just
side mirrors.

It would drive me crazy, and probably everyone else over 40.

I expect I could get used to it. It would help with my narrow garage,
too. I think I have 5 inches to spare with my current car, and have
at some point hit the side and needed to replaced side mirrors on all
other cars I've owned.

The mirror's image plane would be at infinity, as would the image of
the oncoming traffc. The camera/display's image plane would be at the
mirror so would take a major refocus. Refocusing is slow, or
impossible, for us old farts.

If you can't refocus at all, that makes me concerned being on the road
with you driving.

As you get older your accomodation goes to Hell. My vision is still
20:15, it's just that it used to be 20:15 from two inches to infinity,
and now it's 20:15 from 18 inches to 24 inches.