Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Gas shortage

On Mon, 17 May 2021 20:03:13 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2021 18:30:42 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Eli the Bearded writes:
In rec.woodworking, wrote:
I don't see what's gained by just substituting a camera/display for a
mirror.

Fuel efficiency. On a modern car[*] it's (IIRC) 3% of drag caused by just
side mirrors.

It would drive me crazy, and probably everyone else over 40.

I expect I could get used to it. It would help with my narrow garage,
too. I think I have 5 inches to spare with my current car, and have
at some point hit the side and needed to replaced side mirrors on all
other cars I've owned.

I have this handy switch on the drivers door that folds the
mirrors back when heading into the narrow garage.

That said, I'd have no problems with a well done vision system
replacing the side mirrors, I wonder if a full width three-inch
tall stripe across the top of the windshield that provided a 240
degree or so view of the rear all the time would be too distracting.

I just added "side view" cameras on my 1996 Ranger that come on with
the directional signals. Eliminates the blind spot completely. Also
added the backup cammera at the same time - with 8 inch touch-screen
stereo providing the display.

Gotta have the display. A few years ago I added a Garmin GPS with a
WiFi rearview camera to my '13 F150. It works reasonably well, though
it will miss frames so backing up close to things (like my garage
door) has to be done very carefully.

I'm not all that interested in a blind spot camera. The warning
lights on the mirrors work well. I wish I had them, too. My wife's
Mustang has all that stuff. It even has the automatic dimmer that
works surprisingly well. People flash their brights at us anyway. The
LED headlamps are *BRIGHT*. Her last Mustang had HID lights but
they're nothing compared to the LEDs.