Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Split fingernail.

On 17/05/2021 17:07, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.
I don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's
only 4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Well. I bought some "Kiss Powerflex Brush-on Nail Glue" (appears to be
superglue maybe with additives) and some long-life emery boards (thought
would be easier than sandpaper), and some "Strengthening nail polish
remover" (contains acetone, I have MEK but thought I'd use pupose-made
stuff) from Boots.

Clean the nail with nail polish remover.
Put a drop of nail glue on the split itself, and wait a minute.
Spread nail glue over nail, place on pre-made cut out bit of teabag,
stipple it down with the nail glue brush, as if doing miniature
laying-up of fibreglass/resin.
Stick on another bit similarly when that's dry.
Stick on another bit when similarly that's dry.
Trim it all up with emery board.

When it needs re-doing, I might use some thin fibreglass tissue I've
got.The emery boards are really awfully rough (weally weally wuff, I
tell you!), I should have got finer ones.

Since COVID-19 & haircuts & general cheapskatery, I have my hair in a
pony tail. The girl in Boots I asked for advice didn't half give me a
queer look. Nice-looking piece though.

Since all that cleaning work with white spirit, which I suspect is the
cause of the problem, I also bought "Nunale nail strengthening cream"
which contains lanolin, for my other nails, to try and stop further
problems. After applying it, I notice a difference in colour near the
tips of my fingernail beds. The last few mm before the white bit starts
are a deeper colour than the middle bits, as if someone's coloured them
in rather irregularly with a slightly deeper felt pen. Maybe
solvent-affected, who knows.

There's definitely an age factor too. In my younger days I'd be
splashing around a lot of white spirit while decorating, as well as
petrol, lube oil, and all sorts of solvents while fettling cars and
motorbikes. I never had significant nail problems at all apart from the
inevitable mechanical damage. Now (in my early 70's) I develop
longitudinal splits not associated with DIY work. I seem to have periods
of a few weeks when they are all bad, followed by a few weeks when they
are relatively strong and growing well. My diet is fairly diverse but
does not normally vary significantly, and I don't have any underlying
medical conditions (that I am aware of).

About to try Bag Balm, as recommened in an earlier link.