Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Eating sentient beings?

On Mon, 17 May 2021 15:52:31 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Hopefully good news (and there will be plenty of more of that to
come).

Why?

Because it seems it's the only way we can get some people to stop
causing animals to suffer and die unnecessarily?

I doubt there are many for who this must be some kind of news! (even
thick people can normally spot the difference between a pig and a brick.

What they don't seem able to do is spot when they are supporting the
suffering, exploitation and death of sentient creatures and hence the
need for the education and outreach. They *think* that cows need
milking *anyway*, that chickens lay eggs *anyway* so we can just take
them if we want and pigs exist just to give us bacon.

If animals are to be recognised as sentient beings, shouldn't that mean everyone must become vegetarian?

No, because that means we aren't recognising the sentience and so
rights of egg laying chickens or cows.

Nonsense.

Perfect sense.

You may well think you chicken qualifies for entry to Mensa,

Grow up.

but that
does not stop you enjoying an egg with your bacon.

The thought that an animal *will* have to suffer (because they do) for
my pleasure is enough to stop millions of us from 'enjoying' such
things.

(Never seen a cow egg - so will skip those!)

Yes, it might be best for you as we will have to start testing your
supposed ethics skills again. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I just saw something on the TV about the seal culling in the 70's
(?) and they were doing it because it 'impacted on the fish stocks'
meaning there wasn't so much for us (FFS)! The likes of Greenpeace
raised the awareness, people protested and the process was stopped.

The sheer arrogance of killing innocent creatures to deny them their
only foodstuff, when we have supermarkets full of other foods we can
eat.

It's nearly as sick as this form of early indoctrination and
de-sensitisation to how badly we exploit other creatures:

https://ibb.co/wcMQjvn