Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Gas shortage

On Mon, 17 May 2021 18:06:37 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

In rec.woodworking, wrote:
I don't see what's gained by just substituting a camera/display for a
mirror.

Fuel efficiency. On a modern car[*] it's (IIRC) 3% of drag caused by just
side mirrors.

Not buying that one. It's still a lousy way to do a "mirror".

It would drive me crazy, and probably everyone else over 40.

I expect I could get used to it. It would help with my narrow garage,
too. I think I have 5 inches to spare with my current car, and have
at some point hit the side and needed to replaced side mirrors on all
other cars I've owned.

There is not getting "used to it", just as there is no "getting used
to" being blind. I suspect you're a young un or haven't actually used
one of these things. Physics is physics.

The mirror's image plane would be at infinity, as would the image of
the oncoming traffc. The camera/display's image plane would be at the
mirror so would take a major refocus. Refocusing is slow, or
impossible, for us old farts.

If you can't refocus at all, that makes me concerned being on the road
with you driving.

Have you ever heard of eyeglasses? Yep, you must be a kid.

Just wait a few years. At fifty I found I couldn't see anymore.
Cheaters helped for maybe a year, then right to bifocals and
immediately after that to progressive lenses. Getting old is a bitch
and presbyopia is only a small part of the bargain.

....and no, I can't change focus, along with millions of other drivers.