Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default load for steel pipe

"Trey Thames" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 5:38:10 PM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Trey Thames wrote:
I am going to be hanging cast iron skillets from a 1" x 5' black steel
pipe (see link from Hope Depot below). It will be supported on either
end by 4"x4"x5' wood supports. I will probably be hanging about 40 cast
iron skillets which may weigh about 200-300 lbs. Will this pipe support
this weight?

Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-1...00HC/100535170

No problem. 1" gas pipe is about 1-1/4" diameter and quite sturdy. 2-300
pound, distributed static load is nothing.

Thank you all for your messages and your input!

Unfortunately free structural engineering help can be dangerous like free
legal or medical advice. I'd like someone to check my calculations too, but
I can't complain if they don't.