L. M. Rappaport

Default spray paint vs hand paint

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:09:05 -0400, "wendi"
wrote (with possible
editing):

BEHR paint instruction: "Thin no more than 1/2 pint per gallon...Use
airless sprayer 0.015 spray tip." What is airless sprayer? How do I find
out the tip size of a spray gun (I borrowed the gun from someone).

thx in advance
-wen

An airless sprayer is one which doesn't rely on air to atomize the
finish. Basically they work by pumping the finish at a very high
pressure out of a small nozzle. In the case of the Behr finish, the
hole in the nozzle is 0.015 inches. That makes me think you are using
latex. If that's the case, that is not what I'd use on cabinets.

Airless sprayers are typically used for spraying houses or barns.
There is less "bounce back" or waste. However, a decent airless is
very expensive - usually over $1000.00.

I'm far from being an expert, but for cabinets, I'd much prefer
finishing with lacquer. It sprays beautifully, can be laid down with
a regular or, better yet, an HVLP gun. You can use NC
(nitrocellulose) or, if you don't have a proper spray booth handy,
water based lacquers. You can buy it gloss or semi-gloss right out of
the can. (any Sherwin Williams dealer can order it for you) If you
thin it, you need a simple Ford cup, which costs you only a few bucks.
I believe I use a number 4 cup. You dip it in the thinned paint and
time how long it takes to drain out the bottom. It should take 15 -
20 seconds - 18 is recommended for a .01 tip which is right for
lacquer in an HVLP gun.

Good luck,
--

Larry