Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default lawn tractor transaxel oil change

On Sun, 16 May 2021 14:16:53 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2021 10:15:16 -0400, wrote:

IDK what's going on, but I agree with your issue. Seems like a short change
interval to me too, given that auto trannys are mostly filled for life now and
sure get used a lot more hours and harder use than a lawn tractor. I wonder
about the filled for life concept too, where you can't even check the fluid level.
You would think some of them would develop a leak and if you don't realize it,
something very bad would happen. I wonder if they have a level sensor or
similar to warn of impending disaster?

"filled for life" in modern car automatic transmissions ?
.. are you sure ? not CVT transmissions of course
Got a link ?
John T.

Yes, No cites but - No dipstick on 2010 and up Toyota 6 speed
transmissions - using "lifetime" WS fluid.
New GMs have no dipstick either. Most new BMWs don't either but
dealers are now recommending the "lifetime" fluid be changed at 30000
miles or 50000Km to prolong the life of the rather fragile
transmissions (including mini-cooper)

Thanks - Trader & Clare - I learned something today ! :-)

ps : my first real job - 1974 - snot-nosed and freshly-flunked
out of high school - was in the quality control / R&D testing
dept. of a transmission cooler manufacturer -
QC testing the little bread & butter tube coolers that reside
in the lower basin of the cars' radiator. in the 60's - 80's ish
Also testing the experimental plate coolers - not sure how they
turned out ? that was the engineers domain ..
and ta-da testing the big tube-bundle coolers for the
transport trucks - they were always A-OK.
over engineered ?
It was a pretty good job - for a high school drop-out -
until the usual auto-manufacturing downturn -
I was laid-off at 5 months no problem there but ..
the guy who hired me - Asst. Plant Mgr. - a suit -
- an engineer - a real nice guy - I met later in the
pool hall .. also laid-off .. that sucks.
... hope he and famly are OK .
John T.