Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default lawn tractor transaxel oil change

On Sun, 16 May 2021 09:29:53 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

IDK what's going on, but I agree with your issue. Seems like a short change
interval to me too, given that auto trannys are mostly filled for life now and
sure get used a lot more hours and harder use than a lawn tractor. I wonder
about the filled for life concept too, where you can't even check the fluid level.
You would think some of them would develop a leak and if you don't realize it,
something very bad would happen. I wonder if they have a level sensor or
similar to warn of impending disaster?

On two different brands I owned the transaxels are sealed and no way to
tell if there is any fluid in them or not. No level sensor either.
The new one I just bought has a plastic tank that you can see the level
of fluid and has marks as to full and add on it. But again this one has
a relative easy way to change the fluid and filter and to add fluid if
needed.

Many of the cheap ones are just packed with grease. The ones with a
plastic tank are generally hydrostatic - and flushing/changing fluid
is recommended on some, not recommened on others and severely
discouraged on others. Some of the cheapnydros are VERY HARD on fluid
because they have inadequate cooling capacity.