Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Microwave malarky.

On 16/05/2021 13:20, Andrew wrote:
On 16/05/2021 11:00, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2021 18:09, Tim+ wrote:
I must
admit, if our ancient Panasonic ever dies (about 35 years old), if
possible
I would like it repaired as it has a proper mechanical countdown
timer
and a real bell that goes ding.;-)

So does my brand new 'catering' microwave.

And the 45? quid cheapo from Tesco that it replaced

While I am all for repair in general, IMHO the functionality of
"expensive" microwaves (oven, grill, etc) is a waste of time. I think
I replaced a fuse in one once, but they are a minefield even for
experienced repairers unless you actually have a background in them.
So I with TNP here, throw it away and replace with a £50 or less
basic. It will go in the "metals" skip at the tip so the steel,
stainless steel, and copper will all get recovered and recycled. I
don't believe there will be enough on the PCB to be worth recovering,
but perhaps as robots get smarter they will get plucked out before
shredding too.

He threw away a £45 Tesco cheapee and replaced it with a commercial
microwave, but they tend to be too big for most domestic settings
and usage.

OK sorry, I mis-followed the threads. But that's my view, some things
are not actually worth fixing, especially if they are recycled
appropriately.