Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Microwave malarky.

On 16/05/2021 08:37, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 16/05/2021 08:21, Jeff Layman wrote:
Why is the turntable made from glass, and not the same metal as the
rest of the microwave oven? Glass is pretty transparent to microwave
frequencies, and the turntable is only a cm or so above the metal
floor, so why not make the turntable from the same metal?

Yes, that. Mine's a steel one. There's a resistive heating element
under, which allows the turntable to be used to make nice pizzas in!

Really. That is what the Sharp microwaves had, plus a halogen grill
at the top, allowing it to get up to convection temp (even up to 230C)
in minutes.

No-one seems to make them like that now, so I'm not surprised you
are repairing yours. My Sharp is sitting in my car waiting for its
trip to the dump, even though the grill and oven part work fine,
only the microwave bit is dead.