Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Microwave malarky.

On 16/05/2021 08:21, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 15/05/2021 22:26, Max Demian wrote:

I don't think it would be economical to replace the glass turntable on
mine as I think they charge £25 including carriage and the oven cost £40.

In case I break it, I've lifted the turntable from one someone threw out.

Why is the turntable made from glass, and not the same metal as the rest
of the microwave oven? Glass is pretty transparent to microwave
frequencies, and the turntable is only a cm or so above the metal floor,
so why not make the turntable from the same metal?

I suppose it's for ease of cleaning, but they could coat it with Teflon.

There must be a reason - maybe that it usually is just above the floor
on a "spider", so a metal turntable would heat up unless recessed in the
floor.

--
Max Demian