Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Microwave malarky.

On 15/05/2021 22:26, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/05/2021 18:09, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
On 15/05/2021 05:59, jon wrote:

So any help on what's up, and what to do about it?

I had something similar and it turned out to be the magnetron breaking
down under load.

I've got one on order, plus 10 fuses....

I didnt realise it was economically viable to replace magnetrons. I must
admit, if our ancient Panasonic ever dies (about 35 years old), if possible
I would like it repaired as it has a proper mechanical countdown timer
and a real bell that goes ding. ;-)

I don't think it would be economical to replace the glass turntable on
mine as I think they charge £25 including carriage and the oven cost £40.

In case I break it, I've lifted the turntable from one someone threw out.

Why is the turntable made from glass, and not the same metal as the rest
of the microwave oven? Glass is pretty transparent to microwave
frequencies, and the turntable is only a cm or so above the metal floor,
so why not make the turntable from the same metal?

--

Jeff