Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default lawn tractor transaxel oil change

In article ,
says...

Are you sure that it's not the hydrostatic transmission fluid that
your maintenance schedule refers to ?
A manual transmission gears in the transaxle shouldn't
need frequent lube changes. I think on the smaller cheaper
old tractors - 11 - 12 HP they are often sealed with no drain
or fill access ..
John T.

I may not be using the term correctly,but the JD manual calls it a
transaxle. The lawn tractor I have is a John Deere x590, one of the
larger lawn/garden tractors with about a 25 hp motor. The fluid is for
the hydrostatic type transmission and in this one it works the power
stering. There are no manual gears to change.

I did have a low end JD I bought about 15 years ago and about 300 hours
the transaxel (hydrostatic transmision) started slipping or what ever
and would not pull a small hill. It was a sealed unit with no change
possiable of fluid by drain plug.

This new one does have an easy way to change the fluid and a filter.