Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default load for steel pipe

On Fri, 14 May 2021 14:53:39 -0700 (PDT), Trey Thames
wrote:

I am going to be hanging cast iron skillets from a 1" x 5' black steel pipe (see link from Hope Depot below). It will be supported on either end by 4"x4"x5' wood supports. I will probably be hanging about 40 cast iron skillets which may weigh about 200-300 lbs. Will this pipe support this weight?

Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-1...00HC/100535170

That's a very long and slender span. I fear that it will sag (so all
the skillets will slide to the center and pull the pipe ends out of
their end sockets in the 4"x4" vertical beams), and/or then maybe the
pipe also buckles in bending abruptly, in both cases dropping
everything on the floor.

That pipe probably needs at least one center support, maybe more.

This needs a four-to-one safety factor, assuming that the pans are
packed as closely as possible (regardless of current intent).

You will have to do some computations:

..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roark%27s_Formulas_for_Stress_and_Strain

Joe Gwinn