Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default lawn tractor transaxel oil change

On Sat, 15 May 2021 11:01:05 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

What is it with the lawn and garden tractors that need the transaxel
fluid changed so often ?

I bought a JD x590 and they recommend the fluid be changed at 50 hours
and again every 200 hours and the filter changed.

A car transmission change is much longer. I have never changed the
fluid in one and put 200,000 miles on one car without any problem.

The transaxel is closed off from the engine so should not be
contaminated by anything external. I might see it being changed after
50 hours similar to the reason for changing the engine oil after 5 to 10
hours on many small engines. Many of them do not have filters and some
do to catch things. The reason for changing after so few hours is to
get rid of any small pieces of metal that flake off or wear off during
the first hours of use such as the rings seating and bearings wearing
in.

Are you sure that it's not the hydrostatic transmission fluid that
your maintenance schedule refers to ?
A manual transmission gears in the transaxle shouldn't
need frequent lube changes. I think on the smaller cheaper
old tractors - 11 - 12 HP they are often sealed with no drain
or fill access ..
John T.