Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Best old paint removal tool on salvaged timber?

"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 May 2021 21:39:03 +0100, wrote:

On 14/05/2021 16:27, Mike Halmarack wrote:
The flat below me is getting a big refurb. I asked if I could raid the
skip. Now I have lots of door linings and simple bull nosed architrave
covered in paint. In my younger days I've resorted to stripper,
scrapers and sanding but I don't have quite the stamina for that these
days.
I'm considering the situation as an excuse to buy a cordless planer,
I see that the blades aren't too pricey.
Is planing going to be the most sensible approach to the problem?

Whether it's worth bothering with depends on the value of your time and
the quality of the timber but ... I spoke to someone this week who has
started using a sand blasting rig to prepare old furniture for
refinishing, apparently it works well.

In my misspent youth and adulthood I've had quite a lot to do with
applying caustic soda, strippers and sandblasting to wood and in most
cases the finish has had a dingyness about it.

Being a retired old fart, I thought it would be a pleasing distraction
from world affairs to take something that was being torn out and
thrown away and attempt to turn it into something that was useful and
appealing to the eye. Though, I'm thinking only of battens to hold
shelves up for now.

The idea of a planer ripping off the surface to a precise depth
leaving a clean and fresh looking surface is the current fantasy I'm
constructing to justify buying an expensive tool at this time of my
life.

I'm in the opposite situation, I am never going to spend
my vast accumulated wealth even if I make it well over
100 so am buying anything that looks like it will be useful.

Including the fancy 36 Makita cordless chainsaw even
tho I don't cut up trees, only cut up what falls off the
trees or goes mad growing over the roof of the house
and banging on it when the wind is blowing a gale.

Maybe if I present the idea well enough, my
wife might be enamoured of the idea too.

Don't have that problem either.

But that might be rather too much of a fantasy.