Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How do you memorise 6-digit authentication codes?

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

2 at a time for me, but I hate it since when its gabbled in audio, its
just not so clear as its read as a number. I wish they would say it or
put it on the text in groups of two. That way it would be fine.

I break up the big numbers into groups of 3.

The ones I hate are those that expire in one minute and I never
make the time limit. Remember I have to power up the blue
tooth keyboard, then listen to the text a couple of times,
then find the field to type it into on the page them type it in.

Its a bit like these automated telephone number recognition
things, Any noise and it falls out and asks again.

Havent come across any like that. Our post office works
the other way. When you tell the original automated
thing that answers the original call and say the reason
you called is about a parcel delivery, it asks you if the
tracking number ends in the last 4 digits stated. Never
had to give them the full number because it always
has the one I am having a problem with so far.

When I have to read a card number this way, I need to
listen to each group and then repeat it, and the device
hears the words from my dictation machine and gets
it wrong. These systems do not think of older people

Ours does.

or indeed those who need to be
prompted or are in noisy places.
Design flaw.

Never tried ours in a noisy place, my house is nice and quiet.

I am fighting Apples latest security at the moment which
when I look at passwords gives advice about passwords
being week or using common words or sequences, and
threatens to use its own totally unmemorable ones,

Never seen that with my iphone, only sites complaining.

but forgetting that you have devices on Windows
with the same passwords and you would then have
to go about changing everything over manually.

It complains if you use the log in

Log in with what ?

with my google account as a data leak since the
password has been used more than once, and
as you say, if you use an extra verification as
well it just makes it far more hassle to do
anything at all. Result? You do not do anything
that uses bank or other sensitive info on line at all,

I use the fingerprint touch ID for all of mine.

but the banks keep on cutting their phone
staff and you cannot do things that way either.

I hate using bank staff and hardly ever need to.

Bah Humbug.

"Pamela" wrote in message
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.