Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

Default How do you memorise 6-digit authentication codes?

2 at a time for me, but I hate it since when its gabbled in audio, its just
not so clear as its read as a number. I wish they would say it or put it on
the text in groups of two. That way it would be fine.
The ones I hate are those that expire in one minute and I never make the
time limit. Remember I have to power up the blue tooth keyboard, then listen
to the text a couple of times, then find the field to type it into on the
page them type it in.
Its a bit like these automated telephone number recognition things, Any
noise and it falls out and asks again. When I have to read a card number
this way, I need to listen to each group and then repeat it, and the device
hears the words from my dictation machine and gets it wrong.
These systems do not think of older people or indeed those who need to be
prompted or are in noisy places.
Design flaw.

I am fighting Apples latest security at the moment which when I look at
passwords gives advice about passwords being week or using common words or
sequences, and threatens to use its own totally unmemorable ones, but
forgetting that you have devices on Windows with the same passwords and you
would then have to go about changing everything over manually.
It complains if you use the log in with my google account as a data leak
since the password has been used more than once, and as you say, if you use
an extra verification as well it just makes it far more hassle to do
anything at all. Result? You do not do anything that uses bank or other
sensitive info on line at all, but the banks keep on cutting their phone
staff and you cannot do things that way either. Bah Humbug.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Pamela" wrote in message
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.