Amuzed2death

Default Toilet leveling

"jch" wrote in message ...
A friend asked me for advice but not really having any experience leveling
toilets I thought I'd ask someone here. Seems he has a basement bathroom
with a wobbly toilet. He wondered if he could put shims in place to stop the
movement. It sounded like this could work but I wasn't sure about long term
stability. Any suggestions? Thx.

I've done it before...not ideal, but on some concrete floors
especially, you have no choice.

You can use shims. Make sure you use something waterproof. I used to
use asphalt shingles, when I could. I once used galvanized metal
shims as well. Gotta be a bit careful with those. The can "bleed"
onto Linoleum sometimes. Also, check your Home Depot. They are
making some plastic shims, these days. Just like regular wood shims,
but plastic. At leat they are available in my area. Remember the wax
ring, is what keeps it from leaking. As long as that is in good
contact with both the closet flange (the flange on the floor) and the
stool...you should be good to go. And don't overtighten the closet
bolts (the bolts that bolt the stool, to the flange). You can crack
that stool base in a hurty, by overtightening.

After you shim, you could put a bead of caulk around the toilet, just
for a nice looking job, unless of course, it's carpet. Then you don't
have to worry about it.