Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon[_2_] Chris Bacon[_2_] is offline

Default Microwave malarky.

On 14/05/2021 18:00, Peter Able wrote:

OK. Do you mean that you've replaced the fuse and can use the lower
power mode for ever - but when you try full power it fails and blows the
fuse?Â* If so, how long does it run full power before it fails.

I've only just learned how to use low power (which seems to me to be
merely full power applied in short on/off bursts)! I was only
speculating that having the thing switch itself on and off a few times a
minute might affect fuse life were it used often... but:

This thing has been in regular use for ages. The fuse blew probably
yesterday on "normal" the full power setting. I changed the fuse today,
having noticed it was not heating my breakfast, and the replacement blew
probably straight away, certainly within a second or two, I don't know
how to measure that, but it did not noticably heat up my cold coffee.

I have no evidence at all that it works on "low power" (see para. 1).

Has the microwave been stored in a garage?Â* That can result in
transformer damage when powered up?

No, it has been on the worktop in my kitchen, as I say in general use,
certainly daily.

I wondered again about the diode. I am certainly no expert, but I know
what a diode does (but not in context). Testing it again, but on an old
12V battery, gives me no throughput one way, but a 7.93V potential the
other way (off a 13.2V battery).