Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Vegetarians Have Better Cholesterol Levels

On 14/05/2021 13:32, David wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 15:24:06 -0700, polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 16:48:41 UTC+1, GB wrote:
Vegetarians have more favorable levels of a number of biomarkers
including cardiovascular-linked ones €” total cholesterol, low-density
lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and apolipoprotein A and B €” than
meat-eaters

Total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol concentrations for vegetarians
were 21% and 16.4% lower than in meat-eaters. But some biomarkers
considered beneficial €”including vitamin D concentrations €” were lower
in vegetarians, while some considered unhealthy €” including
triglycerides and cystatin-C levels €” were higher.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/950911

So, it looks like you are all right!

If my cholesterol were any lower, I'd be classed as
hypocholesterolaemic! I eat butter, cheese, meat, fish, ...

I suspect that thyroid hormone levels are more closely associated with
cholesterol levels than vegetarian/vegan/meat-eating.

Noting of course that more recent research suggests that higher
cholesterol levels can be beneficial when you get older, especially in
women.

Other research suggests that the amount of HDL is more important than LDL
(which can be good or bad LDL but this is not shown in the tests).

This was known in the 1970's. The graduate Biochemist who ran the
Chem Path lab in one hospital I worked at was doing an MSC in Lipids
in 1978, and even then she was saying the NHS should be measuring
HDL and LDL and paying attention to the ratio of these two levels.
These days that is how it is done worldwide.