Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default SMPSU

On 13/05/2021 18:07, T i m wrote:
On 13 May 2021 17:00:33 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

And that's the thing. I've taken the original one out and it's top off
and it looks like one of the caps has blown (top right of the group of
4 x 1000u /16V at the bottom):

https://ibb.co/VHYxc88

You can also see that choke has been running pretty hot as the shellac
is dark.

I think there was a fan in there (you can see the remains of the gloop
on the lower side (on the pic) of the txfmr) but it failed and we took
it out as the PSU ran cold (originally).

When I took it out earlier it was quite hot.

Where it is on the printer is open on all 4 sides and not in any way
enclosed.

I wonder if a set of new caps and maybe add a second PSU to split the
load might be a good repair / upgrade?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. From a quick Google it comes up as a 5V x 40A model but I'm
guessing that's something they change in the factory (slightly
different bits but the same mechanics / circuit)?

That's an odd place to put the fan.

https://ibb.co/3FZYMPP

Sure looks like there's been some cooking and boiling !

PA