Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Customs duty, a cautionary tale

On 13/05/2021 16:42, nightjar wrote:
On 13/05/2021 16:03, Fredxx wrote:
On 13/05/2021 15:24, nightjar wrote:
On 13/05/2021 14:05, wrote:
Recently, I ordered something (costing about £700) from the Czech
republic and have just been sent a demand for £143 duty and handling
from DHL. My choices are to refuse the shipment, which means I get
refunded less shipping charges, or pay. Bu&&er!

One of the consequences of Brexit.

The consequence is you pay UK VAT and not Czech VAT.

In addition, like the OP, you also get a bill for customs duty, which
was not something you needed to pay wile we were part of the Customs Union.

The VAT now goes the UK Treasury.

Who now gets none of the VAT on sales to the EU.

But it is a net benefit to the UK, as the balance of trade with the EU
is heavily biased to importing rather than exporting.