Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT: Customs duty, a cautionary tale

In article ,
wrote:
Recently, I ordered something (costing about £700) from the Czech
republic and have just been sent a demand for £143 duty and handling
from DHL. My choices are to refuse the shipment, which means I get
refunded less shipping charges, or pay. Bu&&er!

There been enough publicity over import charges over the last 4 months. I'm
surprised you hadn't anticipated this. VAT alone would be £140 on a £700
item.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England