Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Pipe joins and pipe sizing for heating oil

On 13/05/2021 13:46, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
I need to re-route the pipe running between the oil tank and my 50kW
boiler. I see that inserts are now recommended in soft copper pipe to
prevent the pipe from distorting - but these reduce the bore of a 10mm
pipe from about 8.6mm to about 6mm. The boiler manual just gives max
pipe run info for 10mm (O/D) and I haven't been able to find any other
info. Any suggestions on where to find further info or how to do the
sums on the effect of a few (6 or 8) 6mm restrictions in an 8.6mm bore?

Would the use of flared fittings avoid the loss of flow induce by a pipe
insert? I guess youd need a flaring tool but you cant have too many
tools. ;-)

https://www.bes.co.uk/heating-ventil...flare-fittings

Tim

It would, and that had been Plan A, but I'd discounted it because one of
the points (the end of the existing pipe) would be impossible to get to
with a flaring tool ... and I don't have a flaring tool