Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT used pickup trucks

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 May 2021 18:34:54 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 5/13/21 4:57 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 2021 21:51:33 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

On Wed, 12 May 2021 20:03:15 -0400, wrote:

When I bought my first brand new pickup bare bones 1980 F100
- it was priced at $ 5800. I drove it for 13 years and wished
that I'd bought 2 of them ! .. to get another vehicle that would
cost less than $ 1000 per year ...

Here's a used 2020 Chevy that I would need to drive for
about 40 years to get my money's worth .. :-)

https://tinyurl.com/hre8974e

ps : Canuck Loonie money

John T.

OP paid $17,191.21 canadian plus $2800 for cap and liner on May 27
1996 including tax for my Ranger - and less than $3000 in service and
repairs over 307000KM before selling it to me with a bad clutch
release cyl for $1500 16 years and 2 months later. That's about
$23000 less $1500 = $21,500 for 16 years - a bout $1437 per year.

I bought it for $1500 and spent $900 on a new clutch and
installation. - total aquiaition cost $2400. I spent about $950 in
repairs and service plus $2000 in tires and wheels over the first 7
years and 60000 km I owned it, then sunk another $3000-ish into it
last summer putting on a new box, painting the box and cap, and adding
things like heated seats, touch screen stereo, backup and side view
cameras etc.
So 9 years and 67000 km for $8350 if I had to throw it away tomorrow -
About $925 a year - and it's still worth about 3 times what I first
paid for it - - -

I spent the 3 grand on it BECAUSE I couldn't replace it for less than
5 or 6 times that.. The old girl doesn't owe me a cent !!!

And it looks great too!

I fell in love with a shiny new burgundy 90's vintage top of the line
F-150 with the big V8 that was sitting on a raised pedestal in front of
a local Ford dealer's showroom.

Out on the test drive, I noticed a rough idle which the salesman assured
me was common in those engines until they broke in for a few thousand
miles. Overcome with lust as I was, I chose to believe the
silver-tongued devil, took out my checkbook and drove it home.

6,000 miles and several different Ford dealer service departments later,
it still shook sitting at a red light. By now, that feature was labeled
"normal for that engine."

Complaints to Ford HQ in Michigan brought some regional service experts
to work on it with some small improvement.

A subsequent certified complaint letter to Hank The Deuce himself
resulted in a return letter over his signature (mechanically done, no
doubt) quoting from the regional service guys' reports that implied I
was a picky crank who loved to complain.

I was so ****ed I sold the truck.

Hopefully Ford has learned a lesson from those terrible days ?

No they havent. They currently have much worse engine
problems, dead engines that they are in denial about.

A buddy had a Ford pickup from that era - with the paint peeling
problem - light blue-greyish colour was ~ the only culprit -
widespread and really obvious - it took YEARS and
class-action suits for Ford to admit a problem and own-up.
... by that time they had lost many thousands of customers -
- some for life.