Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Looking for decent silicone keyboard cover

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 May 2021 23:09:48 +0100, David.Brooks
wrote:

On 11/05/2021 19:05, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2021 21:24:18 +0100, David Brooks
wrote:

On 10/05/2021 19:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 08 May 2021 20:01:27 +0100, David Brooks
wrote:

On 08/05/2021 18:06, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 at 16:26:33, David Brooks

wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
Sitrep!

I cannot reach the europrinty server using my computers or iPads
connecting through BT, my ISP.

I CAN reach the server when using a VPN connection or when using
the
3/4G connection on two different phones.

Any further thoughts Paul/anyone?

TIA

Looks like BT is blocking europrinty.

_Could_ be BT know (or suspect) something about europrinty.

_Could_ be they (or _somewhere_ in your route to europrinty via BT)
is
using a DNS that has a corrupted entry. You could test that by
using the
URL with the numeric form instead of europrinty.net in it (if I
ping it
now from here, I get that europrinty,net is 148.251.225.179, and it
responds in 27 or 28 ms with a TTL of 53; using two different ping
methods). In other words, if you try
https://147.251.225.179/wp-content/u...21-600x582.jpg
.
Try pinging it from where you are - both by name and number.

Tested as you suggested, John.

I, too, now believe that BT is, indeed, blocking the domain.

I was thrown a little off track because I know that 'Apd' uses BT
yet he
said it was no problem at HIS home. At that stage I hadn't considered
that he might not be connecting to the site via BT. (How dopey was
that?!!)

There's just SO much to remember. When I was first playing with naval
computers in the early 1960s, it was somewhat easier to remember
things
- if I recall correctly! ;-)

Thank you for helping, John. :-D

If BT are censoring your browsing experience, it's time to tell them
**** off.

They are - as instructed by the UK government! ;-)

A prime example is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Bay

Are they? I don't use a VPN to get to it. But then I don't use the
original whatever that might be. There are about 150 of them now. I
can't even remember the original address.

May I ask how YOU get there?

I google "piratebay" - first link is https://thepiratebay.org/index.html
which is not blocked by Plusnet. They did block the original which I
think was .se at the time.

So far, though, they cannot prevent me from using a VPN if I wish.

But you never use Piratebay! You told me you were a good semen, sorry,
seaman!

Ha! Not sure which to choose!

bilge-sucking - an insult indicating someone drank dirty bilge water
from the bottom of the ship
black spot - a death threat (found in Treasure Island by Robert Louis
Stevenson)
blow the man down - it possibly means getting knocked to the ground or
killed (found in a 19th-century sea shanty)
cleave him to the brisket - cut a man nearly in half with a sword
dance with Jack Ketch - to hang (Jack Ketch was slang for the hangman)
dead men tell no tales - the reason given for leaving no survivors
give no quarter - show no mercy; pirates raised a red flag to threaten
no quarter
landlubber - a person who is uncomfortable, or not incredibly skilled,
at sea
lily-livered - an insult for someone who displays cowardice
keelhaul - a punishment in which someone was dragged back and forth
under the ship
mutiny - a situation in which the crew chooses a new captain, sometimes
forcibly removing the old one
scallywag - an inexperienced pirate, considered an insult
scurvy dog - an insulting name
shark bait - If you're made to walk the plank, chances are you'll be
shark bait. Also, a dying sailor whose body will soon be thrown into the
sea
son of a biscuit eater - an insult
walk the plank - A punishment, probably more myth than truth, which
entails making someone walk off the side of the ship along a plank. The
person's hands were often tied so he couldn't swim and drowned (and then
fed the fish).

What was the most fun thing that ever happened in your navy days?

Churchill maintained that the traditions of the royal navy
were rum, sodomy and the lash, presumably in that order.