Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why are revlimiters uneven?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 06 May 2021 18:49:15 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 05 May 2021 21:34:31 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Tue, 04 May 2021 03:01:29 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/03/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Is it to warn you? Even my toilet cistern can slow down smoothly.

On cars? Yes. Cutting the engine abruptly when you hit the red line
wouldn't be good so they simulate ignition breakup to give you a
hint.

But at that point you've already gone over the peak of the power
curve.
I'd just make it drop the curve more quickly so it can never go too
fast.

Not possible to do that and still get the best performance.

You're getting **** all performance if you've gone over the power curve
anyway.

It doesn't drop off that dramatically.

Apparently this is a new thing,

Depends on what you mean by new.

older cars did,

Not really. There was an obvious limit to how fast
you could go but that was more due to the much
greater wind resistance than to the power output
of the engine going over a pronounced peak.

fuel injection and turbos have reduced the sudden drop.

There never was a sudden drop.

The driver would still feel the lack of power.

Makes more sense to have a rev limiter and much easier to do too.

And you ****ed up uk.d-i-y in the newsgroup list, you have uk.diy

No, the guy that made the group ****ed it up. How did you notice?

My news client whinged about it not being a valid newsgroup.

Your client?

Yep.

I've had a news server whinge. I guess it's a good thing, it stops typos.

Yep, a very useful feature. I couldn't stuff up the way you did.
I can tell it to use the bad newsgroup anyway if there is more
than one in the newsgroup list, but not if it's the only one.