Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default OT: House Offer Accepted. What A Crazy Market!

On 5/12/2021 9:05 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/11/2021 4:01 PM, dpb wrote:
On 5/11/2021 3:54 PM, dpb wrote:
On 5/11/2021 2:18 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
dpb writes:

My overall mix is closer to 60:40 when I categorize my dividend-paying
stocks portfolio as "fixed income" which purpose it serves at present
despite being equities.Â* Being long-time continuous-dividend-paying
stocks, as a group they don't appreciate at the same rate as those held
solely/mostly for growth

Although if you enroll them in a DRIP, they do compound over time...

They are...and have at an annualized rate of about 7-8%.

OTOH, a portfolio concentrating on growth stocks may have doubled that
over the same time frame (with much higher volatility, too).

These are not serving that purpose, however, however tempting it is to
always go for the gains!

I have considered letting the dividends go to cash for the income stream
to satisfy the RMD, yes, but there are other places/ways in the overall
portfolio to do that, so, so far, I've just let them grow in situ in
order to keep roughly same balance.

Since they haven't done quite as well as the overall portfolio, they
have slipped some in the overall mix percentage; I did buy into one here
in the recent downturn to boost the overall up a little and also was a
real opportunity to raise the effective dividend rate by bringing down
the average cost/share a little.

--

I learned a few days ago that RMD can be rolled over in to a ROTH IRA
with no RMD from those IRA's

Yes, at a cost. You pay the taxes on the rollover. The ROTH grows
tax free from that point forward, but you still need to pay the taxes
deferred by the 401k/IRA.

Yes, I left that out. I was just was not clear if you could reinvest
in a ROTH IRA after the 70.5 age.