Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mostly Vegan - Ping Tim

On Wed, 12 May 2021 05:12:55 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:
snip

Not sure why, but I can't stand the taste of UHT cow's milk. One of the few
things I'm fussy about.

You are not alone there. ;-)

snip

But lockdown prompted big, monthly, shops and a rethink.

As mentioned we were already enjoying the health benefits of not
consuming dairy (as instructed by my doctor) for 5 years or so now but
we still generally bought it on our weekly (on foot) shop.

Since lockdown we didn't want daughter having to shop for us that
frequently so have tended to buy our oat, soya (that comes from Europe
and can be grown here) and unsweetened soy in bulk. So if she's in
Aldi and we don't have a lot on the list she might buy a tray of each
and they just get stored in the utility room till needed. As we get
close to finishing one we put a new one ready in the fridge and so far
we have only had one (in all the time we have been consuming better
milks) that was 'off' (well actually it went off (thicker) in the
fridge but I don't think we had it in there / opened for that long).

Plus non-milks don't need to be homogenised so any potential risks
associated with that are eliminated and they contain 90% less
cholesterol etc.

I did buy a new blender after you mentioned you make your own oat milk
and keep some oats in stock ready to make some more (our old blender
hadn't been used for years and leaked) but as yet we haven't actually
run out. But from our first experiment it worked pretty well and so
I'm confident it would work even better in the new blender. The only
difference may be if the oats aren't fortified with B12 like the
commercial oat milk is?

Daughter has been getting us Kavanagh's:
https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p.../4088600056135

Cheers, T i m