Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Thread Nut Problem

On Tue, 11 May 2021 18:34:33 -0400, Casper
wrote:

Puckdropper was heard to mutter:

Casper wrote in
m:

I re-acquired a butcher block cart my father and I built years ago. A
bit of abuse but bones in good shape. One issue is omni-directional
metal wheels. They came loose but damage to the nuts and holes
moderately loose. Was easy to unscrew from wood but thread nuts came
out with wheels and I'm unable to separate them from wheel shaft.
Thread nuts are brass. I'm short on tools and hate to waste perfectly
good metal wheels because nuts are stuck. Any ideas on how to separate
shaft from thread nut without damage to either? Thanks

I've seen suggestions of using candle wax as a penetrating agent. I guess
you get the parts hot, melt a bit of wax on the threads and it runs down
the threads and capillary action will draw some wax between the threads and
break the bonds.

I haven't tried it, so can't say how well it works.

Puckdropper

I'm currently trying to saturate one with WD40 to see if it loosens.
I've never used candle wax but might be worth a try. I thought about
freezing the parts. Used to do that with ride parts at Six Flags.
"Train your mind to test every thought, ideology, train of reasoning, and claim to truth."

Get some real penetrating oil. Order some Kroil off Amazon or mix
50-50 automatic transmission fluid with acetone.

WD-40 really is not that good for freeing up corroded hardware.