Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Wood Thread Nut Problem

dpb was heard to mutter:

On 5/8/2021 5:24 PM, Casper wrote:
I re-acquired a butcher block cart my father and I built years ago. A
bit of abuse but bones in good shape. One issue is omni-directional
metal wheels. They came loose but damage to the nuts and holes
moderately loose. Was easy to unscrew from wood but thread nuts came
out with wheels and I'm unable to separate them from wheel shaft.
Thread nuts are brass. I'm short on tools and hate to waste perfectly
good metal wheels because nuts are stuck. Any ideas on how to separate
shaft from thread nut without damage to either? Thanks

"Thread nuts are brass. ..."

Bad idea (as you've discovered).

"Steel and aluminum are relatively compatible, but if brass and steel
contact, the steel will corrode because it is more anodic than the
brass. .."

If you have enough extra length on the shaft, put two nuts together and
lock them together tightly. Then you can use it to hold the shaft and
break loose the brass nut.

If the shaft isn't long enough to have that much clearance, heat on the
nut directly but not on the shaft. Some penetrating nut/rust solvent
may help; carburetor cleaner is about as penetrating a common solvent as
there is.

When you put it back together, use galvanized for nuts...a little
anti-seize wouldn't hurt as a butcher block/table in kitchen environment
will likely see some water now and again.

Only about 1/8th of an inch is open thread inside the brass from where
the steel shaft ends. Not sure there is enough thread to bite on. I
don't have a matching bolt so need to hit hardware store.

I'm currently trying WD40 on one wheel. Might try freezing another.
Used to do that with ride parts.

Cart wasn't used in kitchen nor will it be in future. It was stored in
a spare bedroom for years. I don't see any rust. If I can find steel
or glavanized thread nuts to match, I'll switch.

Cart was built back in mid-80's. Don't remember if there was an option
back then but it was Dad's call, not mine. Considering it's age, it's
help up pretty well. I was surprised the wheels were still on it.
"Train your mind to test every thought, ideology, train of reasoning, and claim to truth."