Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default OT: House Offer Accepted. What A Crazy Market!

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/11/2021 9:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 10:29:28 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

I was mostly mutual funds until the crash last year. I got out before
it hit bottom and back in about 3 weeks later, lower than when I got
out. But with a more conservative approach, 50% bond funds and 50%
mutual funds.

Bond funds are mutual funds.

I assume you mean bond mutual funds and equity mutual funds.

Mutual bond and stock 50/50.

Let's step back to basic definitions:

Mutual Fund

A fund where multiple individuals provide investment capital
which is allocated to a class of assets, or a mix of asset
classes by the fund manager.

So you can have "Bond" fund where the capital from the investors
is allocated amonst one or more bonds (or a subset of bond classes
such as Municipal, Industrial Aaa rated, or Junk), an "Equity" fund where
the capital from the investors in the fund is allocated amongst
one or more equity (AKA stock) positions. Or a fund that invests
in multiple asset classes (e.g. 50/50 bonds and equities).

There are other asset classes as well that can be the target of
mutual fund investment managers, such as real property (land,
buildings, tangible assets or derivative financial instruments
such as collateralized debt obligations).

There are also exchange traded funds (ETF) which have similar investment
philosophies and goals but where the investor simply buys or
sells shares in the fund on the equity markets. Examples are DIA,
IVV, QQQ, et alia.