Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Charging Jump Starter Pack

On Mon, 10 May 2021 14:04:23 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip
I'd say most Li-Ion jump
start packs ain't got the finest either, by the price.

But I'm not sure they need to, given what sort of CCA even low spec
ones can output.

+1

That's been my experience.

I'm not sure Dave has ever actually played with one of these Lithium
(poly, not Ion?) jump-starter packs as then I think he would 'get it'
easier. ;-)

You go to a car, turn the key and you just see dim dashboard lights
and the starter solenoid not even pulling in.

You take the lithium pack *out of your pocket*, clip it on the
battery, get back in the car and turn the key and see fully bright
dash lights. You then turn the key and hear the engine spinning over
'faster' than normal and (if it's ok), starting on the button. ;-)

You go back round to the battery, unclip it (it's not been taking any
charge away from the main battery at any time) and put it back in your
pocket. ;-)

6 months later you find you need to repeat the process, so you take
the pack out of your glove compartment and start another car ...
without having to re-charge or even top up the pack from last time.

I have done pretty well all the above with the Lithium pack I was
given by my local motorcycle shop (I think they were selling them for
£39 or so) and started what became stepdaughters Seat Ibiza several
times whilst it was parked up before she took it on (and it had a
fault that flattened the battery every 3 days or so ... and wasn't
really being charged in between).

I walked there with the Lithium battery in my pocket knowing that my
mate had his big jumper battery on a trolley in the garage opposite,
should I need it. I didn't. ;-)

Cheers, T i m