James Kilton

Default New dryer install - use the same cord and outlet?

Thanks for the advice everyone - very much appreciated. Some
follow-up comments/questions:

"Pop Rivet" wrote in message ...

=== AND the correct cable, plug, and receptacle for a dryer
rated at 30amps! There are MANY 30A plug/receptacles, and
only one of them fits this application.

Question: Didn't the dryer come with a cord attached? It
had to have had one if it was bought legally. In such case,
the receptacle MUST accept the supplied plug on the dryer.
IF it came without a plug, and you are in North America,
then the UL/CSA integrity has been broken and this is not a
legal device. Your home or renter's insurance would look
down on such a thing if it caused a fire; as in, not
covered.

It didn't come with a cord; in fact, the box even says something to
the effect of "no cord included". I had thought this was a standard
practice, as I almost ordered one online from Sears and they also had
me buying a cord separately.

That being said, I've seen images online of what 30A receptacles look
like, and mine isn't it. So I'm confident that my receptacle won't
accept a 30A cord.

But from what I gather so far, the current cord & receptacle will
work, but may be against code. This would at least allow me to use
the dryer now and get an electrician out here (shortly) down the line.
My concern was whether or not something bad could happen just by me
trying out the new dryer. But it sounds like there's no risk here?

Thanks again,
James