Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Charging Jump Starter Pack

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 07/05/2021 22:26, RJH wrote:
Would it be OK to charge on of these:

https://www.walteronline.com/en/tool...mpressor-p3155

(jump starter/compressor/light/USB) by connecting the jump leads to a car
battery charger, rather than use the supplied AC adapter?

IME these are pretty indifferent products, they don't contain much of a
battery, and the compressors are feeble too. Being lead acid you do have
to keep them charged regularly.

Eh? Lead acid self discharge very slowly.

I have a couple of Lithium Ion car starters, and they are brilliant. The
smallest is literally pocketable, about half the size of a standard
paperback and will still fit in a jacket pocket with the leads and big
croc clips. This is more than enough for a 1.3 petrol engine.

Interesting. The Lidl jump start pack I mentioned which has an 18 amp.hr
gel battery has been used to start my 3.5 litre V8 Rover. Recently. The
Li-Ion one I also have says up to 2 litres and this was certainly true, as
it wouldn't even attempt to turn the engine.

The larger is about 20x10x6cm and I am sure would do a large petrol or
small diesel engine.

I'd want to be certain, rather than sure. Check the specs for starting
current, not so called peak. And the capacity of these Li-Ion packs (at a
reasonable price) are much less than the equvalent lead acid types. Oddly,
they all seem to quote in mA.hr. Wonder why that would be, since car
related batteries are always amp.hr.

IME these hold their charge very well, I probably only check them once
or twice a year.

The tyre pump that comes with my Honda is pretty good, and I have
something like this for my 3500 van.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...dp/B074DD8NVY/

which has a great deal more "oomph" than the toy things that are
sometimes on offer at petrol stations.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.