Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Electric Kettles

On Fri, 07 May 2021 09:09:48 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 6 May 2021 at 23:28:04 BST, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use. The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element
was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so
I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Yes, whether cheap or expensive models the elements tend to fail after
one to three years. I suspect people boiling less than the minimum
quantity of water is the main cause, but I am generally too circumspect
to say so too often! A useful side effect is that the RCD gets tested
at least that often.

You're probably right about the real cause of premature element failure
being too low a filling but ime, the elements of the last half dozen of
these plastic jug kettles have proved to be the most reliable part,
especially in the last three circular base 3KW types (I've just bought a
fourth circular base 3KW kettle to replace the last one).

The Chinese manufacturer seems to have taken some care in making sure
the element will outlast the other critical parts nominated to fail in
much less potentially dramatic ways than a heating element, in order to
perform the obsoleting role to maintain demand just beyond their basic
one year warranty without lasting so long as to over-extend service life
to the detriment of such lucrative demand.

--
Johnny B Good