Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Insulation in cavity or inside the room?

On 07/05/2021 19:42, Another Dave wrote:
On 07/05/2021 17:40, George Miles wrote:
I spent 2 months doing plans myself in inkscape, put them in a week ago.

Takes 2 months until i know if i can go ahead.

i have no budget worked out,
but plan to save by doingh everything myself,
except maybe fancy brickwork where the neighbours can see it.

The price of windows is frightening!

(sorry responding to the wrong post here, but can't see George's post in
my feed)

It can be worth finding a maker of them to talk to, rather that a
traditional vendor of windows. I found when I did my loft conversion[1]
I got some quotes for several thousand initially. A bit of shopping
about got that down to about £1k, then eventually I founds a window
manufacturer in Romford that was happy to supply builders etc directly,
and that got the price down to £570

[1] that was for Building Regs 2002 Part L compliant with Low E glass
and trickle vents.

Window 1 €“ clear glass (MOE) 1800mm x 1200mm:
3 panel window with outer two panels being opening casement, centre
window fixed, with fanlight to top of centre window. .

Window 2 €“ obscure glass 1200mm x 1050mm:
1 fixed window with full width fanlight to top.

Window 3 €“ clear glass 550mm x 1050mm:
1 casement window with fanlight to top.

(note those prices are 18 years old now - so ignore the absolute
numbers, and look at the differences!)

--
Cheers,

John.