John Willis

Default spray paint vs hand paint

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:21:35 -0400, "wendi"
scribbled this interesting
note:

I just tried spray painting (compressor and spray gun) for the first time.
I water down the paint to 4 parts paint, 1 part water. The resulting paint
job is a little chalky or sandy. And the satin sheen is no where to be
seen. Meanwhile, my hand paint (with Purdy brush) job, while has a little
brush mark, but it retains the satin finish and looks and feels smoother to
me.

How can I maintain the satin sheen with spray gun? Is it because I didn't
water it down properly?

thx in advance.

See previous posts on the subject.

First you should have cleaned the cabinets, then sanded well, then
cleaned, then primed with an oil based primer, then sanded, then
cleaned, then primed with an oil based primer, then sanded, then
cleaned, then possibly one more round of primer, sanding, and
cleaning, and then and only then applied your first coat of oil based
paint, then sand, then clean, then a second coat of oil based paint,
then if you want a really good finish, one more round of sanding and
cleaning, and a final coat of oil based paint.

Progressively finer grades of sandpaper. Paint should be cured with
each round. Be meticulous about having a dust free work environment.
Practice your technique ahead of time. You can get great results with
this kind of painting regardless of brush or sprayer, it just takes
practice on how to thin the paint properly and if you wish to use any
hardener.

There is no easy way to get the paint job you say you want. It takes
work. It takes elbow grease. Most of all, it takes time, which is why
no one hires out this kind of work anymore because the labor costs
would make it prohibitively expensive.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)