zxcvbob

Default New dryer install - use the same cord and outlet?

toller wrote:
Unless you have told your story wrong, it will not work. If the old cord
was 50a, it is the wrong outlet for your new 30a plug. It will not fit.
So, unless you want to replace it yourself (which, given your question, I
would highly recommend against) you will have to have an electrician in. He
will check to make sure the breaker, wire, outlet and dryer are all
compatible.

It is important that no part of the circuit be rated lower than the breaker,
and that the load not be rated higher than the breaker. As long as you do
that they do not have to be exactly the same.

It sounds like the easiest thing would be to put a range cord on the
dryer to match the outlet. IIRC, a 50A outlet is OK on a 40A branch
circuit. It's not ideal, but I would not hire an electrician to change
anything in a house I was renting.

My house had a range outlet and 45A fuses for the clothes dryer when I
moved it. It's not right, but it works.

Bob