Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Electric Kettles

On 06/05/2021 23:28, Michael Chare wrote:

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use.Â* The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element
was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so
I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2KwÂ* and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Russell Hobbs should be ashamed of themselves. (Perhaps the name has
been sold to the Chinese.) I bought one of the original Forgettles in
1978 and the element never needed replacing and the cutout never failed.
I only got rid of it in 2013 as it leaked slightly from the bottom.

--
Max Demian