Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Toyota wires are thinner

In alt.home.repair, on 06 May 2021 13:52:55 GMT, Rob
wrote:

rbowman wrote:
On 05/05/2021 11:57 PM, Tim+ wrote:
I thought it was to to with everything being CAN BUS now. Most of the
wires just carry signals, essential power is carried by fewer thicker
wires.

I'm guessing the tail light wires on the Toyota are 22 or 24 gauge. No
problem for the application but considerably smaller than on my old
('86) pickup.

I have no complaints with the car but it is not over-engineered as was
typical in Detroit's golden years.

Over-engineering is not good for the world as a whole.
To do it "just right" saves on resources.

Also in a modern car thje tail lights will be LED and use less power, so
the wires can be even thinner.

But mine aren't leds. Nothing in the car is that except maybe a few
dashpanel lights.

Very little is related to CAN BUS. I think 2 pages out of 70 or so in
the wiring manual. (The wiring manual is about 300 pages. I'm
estimating how much of that actually shows wiring. )