Bob the Sailor

Default OT - Building a ball and chain

If you are planning a stunt like that.... you are no friend.

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.

A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are
going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way
the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.

So, I need to build this thing. I procured a bowling ball, a big eye
bolt, some masonry/metal epoxy, and some JB-Weld. I rigged up a coat
hanger and rubber band that holds the eye bolt in place in one of the
finger holes. And Day by day I have been filling the hole with the
epoxy and trying to mix it around the bolt with another piece of
coathanger.

Well It is a couple of days in, and the eyebolt is barley stiff in
there, and I
don't think the epoxy is setting right. And I know there is some
empty space in the hole between the bolt where the glue hasn't
reached. Part of it could be the fact that I can't really mix the
resin and the hardener well around the bolt. The other part of it
could be this was a bad idea.

If this dosn't work (it has to be strong as hell) I can pull/cut the
bolt out and use either the other finger hole or the thumb hole and
try again. So I had a couple of ideas.

Using JB weld or new tubes of epoxy, completely fill the hole with the
gunk and mix the resin and the hardener (forget what it is called in
the jb weld case), mix the them well in the finger hole, then stick
the eyebolt in and hopefully let it set.

or

Find a dowell made of some hard wood that is a good fit for the hole,
pound the crap out of it until it fills the hole, then drill a hole in
it and try to find a wood-thread eye bolt to screw in there. I don't
like this option, because the groom could unscrew the thing.

or

I was planning as a backup, to take a round container, fill it with
concrete and stick one of these bolts in there, this seems like the
simplest route.

So my questions:

Any other methods of doing this that I have overlooked, I already
tried google.

Will the JB weld set in a big puddle of itself in finger hole around a
bolt?

What is the best compound to use, liquid nails, epoxy, quickcrete?

Anyone got a line on a shackle? I was planning on using a masterlock
for the chain to the bolt, then a masterlock on the chain wrapped
around his leg.