Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default How deep into the wood should a screw go?

On 5/5/2021 8:34 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 5 May 2021 18:55:19 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:

On 5/5/2021 6:48 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 5 May 2021 14:29:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 4:45:06 PM UTC-4, jboisver wrote:
A good rule of thumb is that the screw should drive through
to about half the thickness of the bottom piece.
So a 1" thick piece being screwed to a 2" thick piece should have a 2" screw.

I need to hang some 1/4 luan on a 6 x 12 beam. I guess I need a 6 screw.
Oh...wait...the bottom piece will be the luan. I only need a 1/8 screw.

Good one.
... I guess that good-rule-of-thumb
was just pushed into the table saw blade ! :-)
John T.

I never heard of any such rule of thumb. Up to a certain
point, I just want my screws short enough that their points
don't protrude. If the bottom piece is thick enough, I
shoot for a screw that's at least twice as long as the
top piece's thickness. So screwing two 1" boards together
I'd go for a 1 3/4" screw. Screwing a 1" board to a 2"
board, a 2" or 2 1/2" screw. IOW, I just try to apply
a little common sense.

How do you hang sheetrock? 4/6" screws?

LOL actually 6/4" screws.