Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Thermostat hysteresis

NY wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
On 04/05/2021 22:13, Tim+ wrote:

Today however, it was getting uncomfortably warm in our hall.

I should add to my prior post, everyone I live/work with* has no respect
for a thermostat and will ramp them up to max in the bizarre hope that
they will heat an area up more quickly.

Anyone who has had a gas oven will be familiar with the concept of a high
gas mark (temperature) giving a higher power (gas flow) than a low one. In
other words, from cold, gas mark 9 followed by gas mark 4 when it's up to
temp will result in the oven getting up to the final temperature of gas mark
4 quicker than gas mark 4 from the start:

Nope. Im almost certain that our old gas oven gave a €śfull size€ť flame
from cold whatever the temperature setting. The temperature control just
changed the temperature at which the flame modulates down.

a gas "regulo" controls both power
and on/off cycling temperature. I presume once the oven is at temp, it
alternates between virtually off (just enough to keep the burner alight) and
full, in a similar way to an electric oven, but when it's heating up from
cold, the rate of heating is controlled by the gas mark setting. I presume
that's still the case; we've always had an electric oven, but my parents
have gas and I'm basing my comments on how their oven behaved.

How it behaved or how they €śbelieved€ť it behaved? The idea that turning a
stat up to full will speed up the rate of heating with any sort of heating
system is so pervasive Im sure many folk believe it absolutely.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls