Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default TOT elections - second choice.

On Wed, 5 May 2021 15:33:28 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

snip

I think they were enforcing an 'One offroad parking space per bedroom'
round here at one time for any conversions or new developments but I'm
not sure that still applies.

That was normal in southern England (and maybe elsewhere) until the late
1990s.

Ok.

Two Jags abolished it; he thought he was being really clever, even that
that phenomenon has never actually been observed in his case. His
abolition of County Parking Standards for residential developments is
the reason why you now see - particularly in inner urban areas with
purpose built flats as the predominant housing form - cars parked on
double yellows, around roundabouts, etc.

Yup.

As you mention later, many households have more than one care and as
the older people die or go into care homes (who may not have even one
car) and their houses bought / rented by younger people, I only see
that getting worse.

We have two cars but we also have a crossover that no one else should
obstruct / park on that we park on ourselves so at least aren't
'wasting' that space.

And wasting space also seems to be part of the problem with people
parking miles away from the end of a bay ( be it in-line or at 90 deg
to the road) or just less than one reasonable space to the next car
(when you actually see them parking yourself).

But then they say England is a nation of individuals so that would
make sense. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Whilst I realise we don't generally have any right over the space
in front of our houses, we (along this terrace) had, for a long time
(I've been here 40 years) 'an understanding' where we, not allow any
of our visitors to park outside anyone else's houses. There were
generally plenty of other 'unclaimed' spaced very close by that they
could use. Slowly though as people died or moved on and the houses
were bought / rented by people looking to move out of London, were no
longer interested in (or even aware there might be) any existing
'agreement' and some (for reasons I've yet to be given or understand)
park 'the wrong way round'? In many cases, I'm the only one showing
'red reflectors to the rear' and possibly therefore, given I'm often
on the end, protecting the other cars.