Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default TOT elections - second choice.

On Tue, 4 May 2021 14:35:48 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

And what has your poor choice of home location got to do with working
from home? We can actually walk to every one of those (well, except
Primark and we don't generally shop there because of their poor human
rights / manufacturing policies).

Some might argue that not having any of those in walking distance makes
for a better choice of home location :-)

;-)

I think there is a 'golden radius' from all sorts of places where you
want to be far enough away not to be impacted by it negatively but
close enough to be able to access it easily if / when you want.

One of our local councillors we spearheading a plan to try to get
'Resident parking' implemented where she 'happened' to live. You drive
out in the morning and can't park anywhere near your house when you
get back in the afternoon for all the post rush-hour / economy
commuter parking using the local station. The station car park was
often fairly empty during the same period so it was people trying to
avoid the cost.

I discussed it with her (she was looking for my support) but I said
all it would do is push the problem slightly further out (and onto us)
.... and that it would only really work if it was pushed to a radius
where 'most people' would rather pay the station car park charges than
walk back from wherever they had to park.

The would obviously be a cost to both implemented and police any
resident parking zone, potentially penalising all those who didn't
happen to move their car out when the commuters were looking to park.

I suggested that maybe a better option would be to see if there could
be any way to subsidise the station car park (it's covered by ANPR
cameras already) to both attract more commuters to use it whilst
distracting non-commuters from using it as a free general car park
whilst shopping. [1]

The resident permit thing wasn't voted in by the locals and I'm not
sure if anything else is in the works.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Or to provide a decent / secure cycle parking thing as the station
is fed with dual use pathways and side roads from every direction.
Nothing as sad as seeing the remains of a once good cycle left chained
to the fence outside the station for months ... ;-(