Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default chainsaw

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/05/2021 18:25, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

biggest revelation in chainsaw performance was buying a cheapo electric
chain sharpener though

So far I've gone the three chains for £24 route, and only managed to
dull one.

I find that you need to sharpen about every hour, and it takes about ten
minutes, and the file lasts about a chainsaw week at best.

Electric sharpeners mean you have to take the sodding chain off and that
takes even longer...

I find if you have a few sharpened and ready, its quick to just swap a
chain.

It never occurred to me that it *might* be possible to sharpen the blades on
a chainsaw chain in situ, because of the problem of rotating the chain slow
enough to do each tooth in turn. I suppose if you mark the teeth that are
exposed and that you have sharpened, you can run the chainsaw and stop it -
and hope that sooner or later it will stop with different teeth exposed.

But it's so easy to remove the chain on my saw, and it's something I have to
do anyway every few times I use it, to clean out oil-impregnated wood
shavings that accumulate at the "inward" end of the blade (ie by the cog
that connects to the motor or engine, under the screw-on cover). A screw
driver blade, with the chain still in situ, never gets everything out: I've
found that the chain and blade need to be unhooked so the waste can be
removed properly and any excess oil can be wiped off.