Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default OT - Troubleshooting internet issues

On Mon, 03 May 2021 11:58:08 -0700, wrote:

On Monday, 3 May 2021 at 19:32:35 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

No I didn't use "-d" but given I was pinging the IP address directly,
would it make a difference?

just that your traceroute consisted entirely of non-responding hops wih
asterisk, or responding hops with only an IP addr, but no hops where
the name could be resolved, but then if getting to 8.8.8.8 is difficult
not to unexpected, try settin DNS to BT's local server for a while?

The DNS on the router is not set to Google's it was set by EE so assume
the primary and secondary are their ones. I have added them to my
pingplotter list now and they seem to have the same long ping times as
google's and at the same time. If I ping an IP address though wouldn't
this bypass the DNS servers?

If it matters, I have ClearOS installed which acts as a gateway. The
internal network is on one subdomain and the external EE router on a
different one. The latter only has the EE router on it so everything
goes via ClearOS. I believe this means that ClearOS has the router as
it's gateway and therefore all external DNS goes via the DNS servers
configured be EE on the router?

For some reason my connection started slowing down to ~1MB/sec recently,
so I connected directly to the modem and now the speed is back up to ~8MB/
sec.